Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; they shall not be ashamed, but shall speak with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 127:3-5


Friday, April 10, 2009

The Ultimate Sacrifice...

“Surely He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows! He was wounded for our transgressions; He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon Him. And with His stripes we are healed.”

The hymn “Ah Holy Jesus” was written during the time of the Augsburg Confession and the Reformation. The words and melody are a heart cry of sorrow and anguish as we realize what Jesus did for us and respond with devotion and adoration.

Ah, holy Jesus, how hast Thou offended,
That man to judge Thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by Thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.

Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon Thee?
Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone Thee.
’Twas I, Lord, Jesus, I it was denied Thee!
I crucified Thee.

Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
The slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered;
For man’s atonement, while he nothing heedeth,
God intercedeth.

For me, kind Jesus, was Thy incarnation,
Thy mortal sorrow, and Thy life’s oblation;
Thy death of anguish and Thy bitter passion,
For my salvation.

Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay Thee,
I do adore Thee, and will ever pray Thee,
Think on Thy pity and Thy love unswerving,
Not my deserving.

Bach used this hymn’s melody as the basis for his work St. Matthew’s Passion.

O dearest Jesus, how hast thou offended,
That such a cruel sentence hath been spoken?
What is thy guilt, what were the evil doings
Thou hast committed?

Alas, my sins, they have thee sorely stricken;

I, ah Lord Jesus, have this debt encumbered
Which thou art bearing. Ah, would that now my love for thee,
My health, thy trembling and thy terror
Could lighten or could help thee carry.
How gladly would I stay!

If the tears upon my cheeks can Nought accomplish,

Oh, then take my heart as well!
But then let amidst the streaming
Of the wounds abundant bleeding
Be the sacrificial cup!

No comments: